Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Friday, December 17, 2010

Our House "Rules" and Nail Polish

I've read many many times, that for the most part a person cannot remember the Christmas gifts they received the year before. I believe that.

I did receive a very memorable gift last year. Oldest saved his points at Children's Church to "buy" a very spendy wall art crafty thingy for 10,000 points. Upon opening the treasure, he blurted out, "It is for our front door! It has a list of our house rules!" Hmmmm....it actually said, "Out House Rules". A tricky looking font mixed with new reading skills equaled a totally different meaning. This 3 foot wooden outhouse has the following printed on it in brown (would you expect another color for bathroom art?) lettering:

1. Be Tidy
2. Leave it the way you found it
3. Put the lid down so no critters get in
4. Leave paper for the next one

While those are great rules for an out house, I don't have one and don't think I ever will. "Wow!" was all I could say as I pictured it on my front door. How could I crush Oldest's enthusiasm and sweetness by doing anything else?

I hid it for about 10 months still in a quandry about what to do with it. Finally hubby hung it up in the boys' bathroom for me. I cringed looking at the "art". It doesn't match. It isn't my style. Jayden beamed when he saw it. I love it now -- it made our house a home. It is his style. He loves his mommy.

Here we are this year, just days from Christmas. While running a few errands we popped into Walgreens. As I was checking out, Oldest read a sign display for Revlon nail polish. "Mommy, I HAVE to get you nail polish for your stocking. Please!" The store clerk looked at me with puppy dog eyes too. "What color do you want? Oldest asked as he held up a bottle of blue and green. I told the boys to pick out whatever color they wanted me to have. Honestly I rarely wear nail polish anymore and when I do it is colors like "clear" and "barely there". Middleson had his eye on a shade called "Fire Red". Oldest and Middleson sat on the floor lining up bottles of nail polish while I proceeded to another check-out so I wouldn't see.

You may see me the week after Christmas sporting a bold set of fingernails in blue or green or fire red. I'll be wearing it proudly. I'll love it. It might not be my style. It is his style. Oldest loves his mommy.

Maybe in 15 or 20 years I will be wearing that same color at Oldest's wedding, presenting him with a beautiful wall thingy for his first home that says "Out House Rules."

2 comments:

  1. That actually about made me cry! I love it, every second of it! I was thinking though...maybe you could take a picture of the freshly polished nails along with your red lipstick from the Christmas party. That would be fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I am the same way about colors. I always pick very neutral colors. My friends call the "boring" ones mine...nice!

    ReplyDelete