Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Thursday, May 24, 2012

True Greatness

Oldest, Middleson, and Babyboy said good-bye to their Papa last week. My Dad-in-law "graduated" to Heaven. In his last days, this military veteran often spoke of "going on leave" soon. Yes, he did indeed leave this world, an extended leave in Heaven for eternity.

As I reflect over the last week and all the events that occurred, I am utterly amazed at God's faithfulness even to the end, down to every detail. His timing so perfect even in death. Rising higher than the feelings of sadness and mourning, are a great sense of pride and honor to have known my husband's father for 14 years.

He was a man of greatness. I learned this weekend while reading documents that he was 5 feet, 8.5 inches. I saw him much taller than that. Perhaps it was his character that was larger than life. Small in stature maybe, but great in heart and humility. Noble.

Some characteristics I admired about my father-in-law --- some I experienced first-hand and others I just learned in speaking to family recently.

1. He was a many of integrity. He was the type of man that would find a pen behind his ear on his drive home from work and turn around to return it.

2. He took care of my mother-in-law who suffered with cancer for 21 years WITHOUT a word of complaint. Not a mutter. This is amazing to me!

3. He had my husband, his 4th child, at the age of 51. Can you imagine? And, he raised him well.

4. He worked hard and persevered to care for his family in every way.

5. He had a delivery truck and among delivering "goods", he also used it to transport teenagers to church services and conventions.

6. He shared Christ with many people throughout his life.

7. He had an uncanny ability to answer a question with a question. This is clearly hereditary. Have you ever heard my husband do this? Hmmm.....

8. He served in World War II.

9. He loved ice cream. It is said that you aren't in the family unless you love ice cream. I fit in the family quite well and my boys are clearly their papas grandsons.

10. He was generous.

11. He often spoke of his "good life". His attitude determined his altitude. He did suffer hardship most certainly, yet his attitude said otherwise.

12. He was ready to meet Jesus. He had accepted Christ as his personal Saviour. He lived his life to attain eternity with Jesus.

13. He raised four wonderful children. My brothers-in-law and sister-in-law exemplify many of the traits above. My husband is a gift to me in more ways than I can count.

14. He was truly a man of greatness, leaving a lasting legacy.

Thank you, Papa, for living your life the way you did -- with uprightness, self control, and dignity. Thank you for leaving a legacy that we are proud to pass on to Oldest, Middleson, and Babyboy. We too are ready to meet Jesus and we are thankful for a godly heritage.

It isn't good-bye, it is see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment