Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

rOlLeRcOaStEr

Four years into homeschooling and we are still on a rollercoaster. Up and Down. Around we go.

Each week is a series of highs and lows. I can't do this. I can do this. I love this. I _ _ _ _ (insert a four letter word that starts with "H" and rhymes with late that we try not to use.) I tempt myself with thoughts of a brick and mortor school. I daydream of waving good-bye to the bright yellow bus and actually having TIME. Then I realize that homeschooling GIVES me time to do what matters most to me. Sure, some days I feel like I have been dragged through the day, while others, I have the proverbial "bull by the horns". Busy. Bored. Well, no not bored. Never ever bored. Dirty. Clean. Organized to dis-organized in minutes flat. A cycle of opposites that is never mundane.

Rollercoasters are thrilling, stomach tingling, and exhilerating. Just ponder the names of the top roller coasters -- The Beast, The Intimidator, Goliath, The Terror, and Desparado.  Have you ever heard of a coaster with a name like, Peace, Lazy River, or Princess?  No! The big name promotes a bit of fear in and of itself.  I'm thinking of a name change for our school -- Adrenaline Academy.  It fits.  Like a real coaster, sometimes I just want off the ride! They are scary and dark especially when I can't see what's around the corner. Other times I am left feeling a little sick to my stomach and I just want to park myself at the nearest bench. The adrenaline rush is over.

Homeschooling brings about those same emotions. The thrill of teaching Middleson to read. Watching Oldest soar right past me in technology is amazing. Babyboy's desire to mimic his big brothers tickles my tummy. And, all this togetherness brings about an unexplainable joy. But, what about tomorrow? Am I doing enough? Have I covered all the bases? Am I forgetting something? Weariness sets in like a fog despite my efforts in being prepped and ready to go. I want to "retire" and put my kids on the nearest bus.

All in all, (for us) homeschooling is a gift. It's hard work. Anything with worth takes work. I think of training for a long running race. Sometimes the run is effortless and enjoyable. Sometimes I drag my legs around forcing them to take another step. But, when I cross the finish line it is ALL VICTORY and NO REGRET for the hours of training, the pain, or the early mornings. Homeschooling is more thrill than shrill. More ups than downs. Worth the price of admission. Ready to roll....let's go for another ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment