Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Just Follow Me

Our new life in Michigan has opened my eyes in many ways -- one completely unexpected. SAND! When I think of sand, Florida comes to mind instantly, not Michigan. This place is sandy.  Even my poor little backyard garden is packed with sandy soil.  The van can't seem to rid itself of those pesky little granules no matter how meticulous we are after our beach visits.

A friend introduced to a place called the Bowl Dune.  Oh my! It is a series of sand dunes to climb and conquer that eventually leads to a "crater" or "bowl".  I can't help but feel like Neil Armstrong sinking my feet into endless sand granules, pretending I'm on the surface of the moon.  One particular day we attempted to scale the dune.  It is almost completely vertical.  The workout is beyond what LIFETIME Fitness has to offer.  Strenuous, heart-rate increasing, no-talking, heavy breathing all the way up....only to reach the top and realize there are several more ahead.  The view, a breathtaking invitation from Lake Michigan to submerge yourself in cool blue water.

Umm.  I had my five year old with me.  The one that tires me with his endless energy except when he experts himself with his favorite line, "I CAN'T DO THIS! I'M SOOOOO TIRED!" My original plan, pre-dune visit, was to give BabyBoy a piggy-back ride.  After seeing the dune, my plans backfired mentally.  This little piggy and momma piggy roll down the dune backwards.  Not. Going. To. Work.

Feeling just a touch defeated and desperate for a solution, I huffed a command, "Just put your feet into my footsteps."  It's much easier than hollowing out his own sand mold each step.  If he can just step in my step, we can make it.  We did!  We made it!  The downhill was exhilarating, easy, fast, and full of joyful laughter.

Isn't that what Jesus requested of his disciples?  "Come follow me!" Jesus commanded. He didn't tell the disciples to go out on their own, to choose their own steps.  Instead, He asked them to follow, to come after him.  In my twisted thinking, I somehow think it might be easier to invite Him along my path as if I know the way I should take.  Ha.  He knows the journey will be easier if I just put my step into his footprint and follow His path.

Sometimes the path is uphill, dark, hard, treacherous, and frustrating.  I can't find my way.  Other times are bright, light, and easy.  Either way, my role doesn't change. I'm the follower.  My way is behind my leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment