Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Monday, July 11, 2011

Within Arms Reach

Today was a scorcher even as the sun rose. My morning run like mid-day heat. Hot. Sticky. Our mid-morning bike ride quickly interrupted by, "Can we turn around and go home? I'm thirsty!". The sun's rays darkening the shoulders of my boys before my eyes. Summer is here.

Just moment's later I'm shearing my blondies' heads like hot, sweaty, sheep outside. Instead of falling to the ground, the fresh wisps land on dewy skin, staying put, refusing to fall. The clouds rolled in, the sky darkened and everything stilled.

"I think we are gonna have a storm." Middleson stated. "I'll check the weather." Oldest piped in, always ready to help. Sweaty Babyboy with a big boy haircut sleeping soundly. My almost-dried clothes flapping frantically on the clothesline as if trying to beat themselves dry in record time. The wind awoke.

Oldest and I ran up and down the line tossing clothes and pins in the basket, laughing as we went. Just in time. Moments later, the thunder clapped and lightening flashed. The house, once sunny and bright, dark like night.

Feeling a little frightened myself, I considered Babyboy. He really really needed a nap. Yet, I didn't want him to be frightened. For now the sounds in his dreams drowned out the storms surrounding him. I decided to wait outside his door. Within arms reach if he needed me. If the storm sounded too loudly, I'd let him know mommy was near.

Crouched on the floor, waiting by the door, I pondered other storms I've been through. Real storms. Life storms. The ones that shake you and throw you and toss you about.

I pictured Jesus, just waiting and ready to let me know He was there. Within arms reach. Daddy is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment