Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Luck

I have never been a believer in luck -- good luck or bad luck. Lately, though, the trials have pounded like hard, steady rain -- a down pour. As some would say, "a string of bad luck". Nothing earth shattering, thankfully. Just the intensity of a continual set of trials. When it rains it pours.

Today I want to pull the "two year old" card and throw a good tantrum. "It's not fair! I don't like this! No! No! No!". I'd love to flirt with the comparison trap. Comparing myself to others that have it easy schmeezy -- or so it appears -- but I know better.

As a Christian, it is tempting to believe if I just pray hard enough, I can achieve the outcome I desire. I approach prayer like God is a genie in bottle with never-ending wishes to make me happy. But, like Paul said, it's about finding contentment no matter what -- even when every attempt to stand means getting knocked down again by the strong wind of trials.

Philippians 4:11-12
"I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little."


Paul learned to quit tantruming (yes, another homemade word). The wrestling match was no more. Either way, he was okay.

James 1:12 is where the rubber really meets the road for me.
"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him." Later, in the chapter I am reminded that God generously gives me wisdom. Trials and the need for wisdom are closely connected.

Trials are the "gym" for my faith. As my faith grows stronger I can withstand, endure, and persevere. There is something greater -- beyond any joy or pleasure or comfort in this world -- eternity with Christ.

Ann Voskamp's book, A Thousand Gifts, contains a quote that has changed me. "Make every moment a cathedral giving glory." Every moment can be holy if I allow my reaction/response to line up with God's Word. When I can rejoice in my trials, glory is given to my Heavenly Father. It becomes something beautiful and something that can be used. Something holy. Even the broken and ugly and fearful things. The trials that threaten to overtake me are transformed into miracles when I give thanks. Within each trial there is room for thanksgiving. I just need to search for the hidden treasure.

When the glass really is 1/2 empty I can be thankful. There is room in the cup for more. It will be 1/2 full again!

The realization that my first instinct to a trial is trust instead of panic. Luck? No. A blessing. A miracle. An opportunity for something greater than myself. Maybe what feels like "bad luck" is really "good luck". As a result of the growth process, I come out strong, able, and far beyond "lucky".


No comments:

Post a Comment