Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Middleson and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Yesterday was an emotional day for Middleson. Like Alexander, he had a terrible, no good, very bad day. With three boys, the drama in our home is minimal. The boys take after their daddy -- even keel and stable. Admittedly, any drama is probably stirred up by the only female on our turf -- yours truly.

Yesterday was different. It started at breakfast when Middleson retrieved the previous nights dinner that he was too full to eat. Interestingly enough, it was only the vegetables he was too full to consume. Lest you think I am a harshmommyontheboysturf, it was two green beans. Therefore, two green beans were offered for breakfast along with a side of his tears, followed by a steaming bowl of oatmeal with extra raisins.

Moments later another breakdown during his Unit Review for Math. He struggled through math problems that he solved easily the day before. Hugs required.

Then it was his Language Arts book. "When I just look at my Language Arts book, I miss Auntie W," he sobbed. I am still trying to figure out that connection. Perhaps it was the game of Scrabble we played togther a few weeks ago just before leaving Auntie W's home. Another long hug needed and given.

Later, trying to cheer him up, I flew his plastic Superman figure past his face. I missed and poked him in the eye with Superman's much-too-hard foot. Some Superhero. Some Supermom. Oops. Hugs and apologies from me in abundance.

An arranged call to Auntie W brought some relief and comfort thankfully. Middleson suggested that maybe pancakes (Auntie W's recipe) would cheer him up just a little. More hugs and pancakes-a-plenty.

After dinner he wanted to snuggle and read, just him and I. He tore back the covers on my bed and we read books covered in coziness. Even when Daddy and Oldest were heard outside playing football, he wanted to stay a few minutes longer.

Before bed he recounted all the times he had cried during the day. He reminded me that I gave him a strange look when he was eating his oatmeal noisily. I hurt his feelings and he had cried then too.

"Mommy, I know you get up real early and pray. Tomorrow when you pray could you pray that tomorrow I have a better day? And, you know how you hugged me so many times today when I cried? Could we do that again tomorrow?"

Sure thing Middleson! Here's to a great day with more hugs than you can count.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!! What a sweetie!! I just read that book to Evan two days ago. Sounds like he and Alexander had some things in common!! Here's to hoping today is MUCH better with no tears but even more hugs.

    ReplyDelete