Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Sunday, October 10, 2010

i don't text

I may be the last person on planet earth that does not text. Okay, that is most certainly an exageration. I FEEL like I am the ONLY person that does not text. Wrong again. My hubby and I are the only people I know that do not text. Our cell phone is just that -- a phone for talking.

I just upgraded my phone. All I wanted was the sturdiest phone I could find with no bells or whistles. I ended up with a military issued phone that can withstand falls and moisture. Perfect! A 3 pound flip phone!!

Technology is not a sore spot for me. I like technology. I love the internet and the instant knowledge I have right at my fingertips. E-mail makes me smile as does facebook.

The good thing is I can set boundaries for myself with my computer. Computer On. Computer Off. I seem to have the need to instantly respond to anything in my inbox. I will not put it off until tomorrow I promise. I inherited a great appreciation for detail and explanations too. Thanks Mom. I have already passed this great trait on to at least one son. "How was your breakfast?" I asked ONE of un-named son's. "Well, I got up this morning a little earlier than usual. I was very hungry. I thought I would have oatmeal, but you were not up yet. I decided to have Chex. You know the ones made of corn and rice? I had the corn ones. I didn't have milk. I used a green bowl. There are 3.5 left." You get the drift.

Now, imagine me having the capability to text. I would text. Too much. Too often. An indicator telling me I had a text would be as intense as a fire alarm in a high rise. I would be driven to immediately respond with way too much detail.

How does this factor in to 30minutesontheboysturf? For me, another communication tool is another temptation of distraction. I want to be as attentive to my kids as I am to my inbox. They do not have an On and Off switch. Nor does my "mother" switch. I am mommy 24/7 and they are the treasures God has given me.

One day I am sure I will move into this century and your text to me will not be blocked! Pease don't tempt me with the latest and greatest text/media plans! I might not withstand the pressure.

For now, I am content to live in the dark ages just a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment