Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Addition and Subtraction

Middleson is in the middle of a story problem unit in math. He has to decide if he should solve a particular problem through addition or subtraction.

For some unknown reason, his lesson reminded me of my morning at MOPS (Mothers of Pre-schoolers) yesterday. It was a valuable time of laughing, talking, praying, cake-decorating, bread making, recipe collecting, and more. I left with more than (> greater than) I arrived -- a mini bottle of lotion, dozens of recipes, a new journal, and a refreshed outlook on my week.

As I reflected on the meeting and all that I took away (- subtract) I realized I had the opportunity to tweak my addition skills (+ plus) too. A friend approached me for advice -- always an honor. Another friend told me I had been an encouragement to her which in turn encouraged me right back (hmmm maybe that deserves an = sign). I held a little baby whose mommy needed one more set of hands (multiplication X). I have been in that predicament more times than I care to count (1,2,3,..).

Yes, I left feeling full, but I was also able to give something away!
Life is about adding and subtracting. Balance. Giving and receiving.

As a mom, I am always doing math -- my words, actions, and looks can add or subtract from the very spirit of my children. I am reminded constantly that I am either training them up or tearing them down. The Bible instructs me to "train them UP". Even when I am disciplining the three boys, it should always build them UP! How easy it is to do the reverse. I need to calculate my responses accurately.

My never-ending goal-setting personality is up for a challenge. I am on the lookout for opportunities to add value to the lives' of the people I am around. I encouraged Oldest and Middleson to join in too!

In God's math class, there are no less-than <'s. We are all equal = in Christ with a + positive value that we cannot begin to fathom.

Real life story problems. Just like Middleson, I need to ask, "Should I add or subtract?" Math class is life long isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I have been challenged lately to do the very same thing..how to lift others up and add to their day as I meet them in the grocery store, in an elevator (today at my doc appt) and so on. It is a blessing to me too!!

    ReplyDelete