Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Thursday, February 24, 2011

On Their Turf

Today my post goes back to the "root" purpose of starting this blog. I desired to keep myself accountable to spending good quality time doing whatever my boys wanted to do. In other words, an open ended, "What do you want to do with mommy?"

The experiment was/is a success. I still periodically have people ask if I am still spending time on my boys turf. It is great motivation to keep going!

Homeschooling does provide the opportunity to have one on one time with each child. But, really, homeschooling is time on MY turf. I am dictating what we do and when we do it. However, by the time school is over we usually end up on opposite ends of the house! I usually want alone time, while the boys want time to play.

On Tuesday night I had the rare occassion to spend time alone with Babyboy. At 22 months he finally got to touch play-doh. He has carried around tubs of play-doh countless times. I didn't have the courage to introduce him to the substance fearing I'd be picking up play-doh remnants every day after our school hours. Oldest and Middleson are quite able to pick up after themselves. Amazingly, Babyboy is content with the containers and really doesn't like to squish it, touch it, or mold it.

Today after school I asked the big boys what they wanted to do. Basketball was the activity of choice. Two big boys against mommy. It felt good to be back on their turf again.

Now, as I blog, they are contentedly Lego-ing in the basement. Happy kids = Happy mom. Spending time with them really is an investment.

We journey on....

No comments:

Post a Comment