Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Friday, February 11, 2011

Waiting.

Waiting. It feels long and drawn out. If it isn't long, it doesn't feel like waiting does it? I don't wait at a green light. I wait at a red light. I have to come to a stand still or a complete stop. It isn't a comma or a dash. It is a period. A long period, not knowing how long the wait will last.

"Wait a minute. Just wait! Wait just a second!!"

Yesterday, a radio broadcast reminded its listeners of the instant society we live in. Beyond microwaved and fast food, we have scheduled early baby inductions, fast-dry nail polish, and instant oatmeal (is 5 minutes for the regular too long?). Children are encouraged to grow up quickly by the way they dress and even academically! Kindergarten is now more like first or second grade. The preschool years are dedicated to learning over playing and just being a kid. (As a homeschooling mom, I am NOT anti-education.)

This morning I read Psalm 40. It led me to study the words "wait", "waiting", and "waited" in the Bible. I even waited to post this blog because I am still in the process of mulling this over. There may be a part II. Just wait and see.

I found this rather humorous -- look at the Psalmist's words:
vs. 1 "I did not give up waiting for the Lord."
vs. 13 "O Lord Hurry...."
vs. 17 "Oh my God, do not wait!"

I chuckled as I read the passage because it hit so close to home! Sure Lord, I will wait. Okay, hurry up! I need an answer now!

Time is often needed to bring optimal results. A pregnancy is 40 weeks. Bread takes time to rise and cheese takes time to age. People are no different. The Bible is full of characters who required time on the potters wheel before they were used. That often came through waiting.

Waiting strengthens our spiritual muscles. I call it WAIT Lifting! Psalm 27 says, "Wait for the Lord. Be strong. Let your heart be strong. Yes wait for the Lord." Is there anything more difficult than needing answers, relief, understanding, or direction and being forced to wait?

I can think of several poor decisions I would have made had I NOT waited! Being hasty is foolish. I can also think of decisions I made in haste that I regret.

As I pondered the Bible's definition of "wait", I came to the conclusion that it doesn't include worry. Wait and worry should not co-exist. Waiting is a time to trust and be strong rather than anxiety and worry until the answer comes.

With no conclusive end to this study, I would love to hear your thoughts on waiting.

Now, I am waiting on you.

2 comments:

  1. I am not patient by nature, but then again, who is? I try and remember that God's timing is perfect. For example...our house was on the market for most of 2009...70+ showings and not ONE offer. It was such a good waiting exercise, and I consciously said each day "Your will." Well, in 2010, after a mere 6 days, we had a full asking price offer and the very next day, the home we live in now (which we love) came on the market. God's timing is perfect. Just can't always see it this side of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, Nicole, The "Waiting Room" is one of the hardest places to be but God's timing is not the same as ours so we need to just believe that if the answer hasn't come, if the situation hasn't been resolved...it's because He is still working things out.

    ReplyDelete