Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Friday, January 28, 2011

Sitting

Sit. Sat. Sitting.

No matter how you say it, I don't really like it. I'm not much of a sitter. As far as I recall, I've never been one to sit for too long. I'd rather be standing, moving, or walking. Why? I think I equate sitting with un-productivity. Productivity is the name of my game.

Perhaps that is why a week of sickness in our home was so utterly painful. I was forced to sit and didn't really want to. I recently found myself sitting in the van with a minute or two to spare. I grabbed a wet wipe to clean my steering wheel and dashboard. When that was done, I collected trash. I realized I could just sit and talk to the kids and enjoy the moment. I did.

When Jesus fed the 5000 by multiplying five loaves and two fish he instructed the disciples to have the people SIT down. In John 6 it says the food was distributed to those who were SITTING down as much as he wanted.

Although the highlight of this story has always been the miracle of multiplying the food, I have been perplexed by Jesus' instruction. I wonder if anyone missed out on a meal that day because they wouldn't sit down?

Why not a basket buffet? With 5000 people it seems that would be more a more efficient program. Everyone could have stood on either side of the baskets to retrieve their bread and fish.

Perhaps when the people were seated, they could SEE all the people and SEE all the food and SEE the miracle! What miracles have I missed because I would not sit down for a moment and look around and open my eyes?

Maybe Jesus knew the people needed rest as much as they needed to be nourished physically. They had followed Jesus for quite some time. Mandatory time out for all. Time Out should be mandatory for all mommies!

Sitting down tends to be a posture that says, "I recieve. I rest" Maybe my constant producing and dis-taste for sitting has more to do with trust. Babyboy loves to do everything for himself. At thirty-something I still like to do everything myself. When I sit, I can't produce. I have to trust someone else to do, to produce, and to provide for me.

In the story of Mary and Martha, Mary sat at the Lord's feet while Martha took care of the preparation. I can guarantee you that if I was present, I would have busied myself with the prep work. Mary was commended for choosing what was "better". If Martha spent more time sitting maybe she would not have been so worried and upset about many things. Maybe if I would sit, His peace would cover my to-do list too!

Some people could stand to stand a bit more. I could stand to do a little more sitting. I'm learning.

Sit. Sat. Still Sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment