Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Thursday, May 19, 2011

School's OUT, Turf Time is IN!

Oddly enough, Middleson woke up with his desire for "turf time" fresh in his mind. I asked him if he had read my "to do" list for today. He hadn't.

I have not been overly zealous with an organized 30minutesontheboysturf for a few months for several reasons/excuses. First, we were finishing school and homeschooling means an excess of togetherness. Secondly, we have done a lot of fun family activities like bike riding, working in the yard, and visiting a local kids museum. Lastly, each afternoon I have been reading books to the boys. (Turf time, but not time on the boys turf....more like time on my turf since I call the shots.)

Still, I knew I needed to re-commit to my original plan. 30minutesontheboysturf, Day 1. I commit myself completely un-distracted, phone-less, computer-less, paper-less for 30 minutes where the boys call the shots and I follow their lead. I engage mentally, 100%.

Summer is the perfect time to do it when the schedule goes out the window and there is more free time. Maybe 30 minutes seems like a long time, but 15 minutes is doable. Maybe 30 minutes 3 days a week if 5 seems like too many. Many non-homeschooling friends found it difficult to find time in the school week. Now is the time! The investment is so worth it.

Today I was back in the cold dark basement on the first day this week it hasn't rained. Middleson had great Lego machines in mind for us to build. He built the mail truck and I attempted a mailbox. Unfortunately, my mailbox was not up to the inspector's guidelines and it was dis-assembled and the Legos are back in the bin, up for grabs.

Here goes, Turf Time, Part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment