Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Monday, September 27, 2010

55 hours in the Mile-High City of Denver

I have absolutely nothing to report for 30minutesontheboysturf time. But, I know for sure that my husband/substitute teacher/boys' daddy could do a play by play of their weekend together!

I, on the other hand, have MUCH to report from my FIRST true break from my kids in 8 years! I learned something new this weekend. Denver is known as the mile-high city. My sister and I re-united in Denver for some sister (no husbands, no kids, no stress) time. Our hotel was adjacent to the mile-high stadium smack in the middle of downtown Denver.

The strange thing about this high-class hotel and its perfect location, was my pillow. Well, it was the pillow provided for me by the hotel. I like to refer to it as my mile-high pillow. I am exagerrating, but only a little bit. It was SOOOOO high and SOOOO hard. The first night I tried to use a small corner of the pillow. When that still proved too high, I slept on the mattress with no pillow. I was not afraid of falling off the bed, but I was afraid of falling off that frightful pillow. The second night I rolled up a towel and used that. Note to self: Also travel with my own pillow! My neck/shoulders are still reminding me.

Despite my pillow, the trip was fantastic. 55 hours of laughing, being silly, Starbucks, sitting still, attending the Women of Faith conference, eating out, shopping, conversing deeply, and lingering. It was 55 hours void of diaper changes, dishes, laundry, cleaning, and up/down mealtimes. The break from doing what I do for those I love was sooooooo refreshing.

Arriving home, exhausted but refreshed, held its own sweetness along with a hint of disappointment that the trip was over. Oldest and Middleson streamered the house and posted homemade "Welcome Home" signs. Daddy's worn expression said it all, "I am soooo glad you are home" Babyboy had a look of pure delight when the van door opened and I hopped in. It was like something was missing and he finally put his chubby little finger on it. I held daddy's hand with one hand and Babyboy's with the other, all the way home.

Contentedly, I ponder my time way. It was so good -- perfect. And, after a day of getting back into the swing of things, I am refreshed and ready to spend many more minutes on my boys' turf minus the mile-high pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment