Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Friday, August 6, 2010

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

"Don't sweat the small stuff."  This is a popular quote meant to encourage us all to surrender less energy to the things that don't really matter.  I've added to the quote.  Don't sweat the small stuff. Don't sweat the medium stuff. Don't sweat the large or extra large stuff.   My detailed ducks-in-a-row personality tends to sweat all sizes of stuff.  Yet my cool feathered friends who never seem to get ruffled amaze and encourage me.

The Bible puts it this way in Phillipians 4: 6-7 --Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

(NOTE:  This is the SECOND time I have written this blog post.  Let me explain.  Earlier to day, I asked Oldest to help me move the deck furniture so we could stain the deck.  He somehow thought I said that I needed help moving the family room furniture. I was blogging away when the power went off.  Oldest had moved the big leather couch and the over-stuffed comfy chair....and in doing so, unplugged the power cords for the computer.  I kind of wanted to growl, but decided to incorporate "don't sweat the small stuff" and calmly put my family room back together, re-started the computer, and re-blogged.

Now, I have noticed since beginning this experiment, that I have had to let go of some of the small stuff in order to carve out those precious 30 minutes.  But, at the end of the day, when it was all said and done, I had accomplished everything I normally would AND spent time on the boys' turf. 

Speaking of sweat.  In over three decades of life, I have not been a sweat-er.  I envied those around me with sweat rings on their shirt and beads of sweat racing down their faces.   However, just recently I started to sweat. Today was one of those days. I pushed myself to get in a good workout. No, I pushed myself to get in a GOOD WORKOUT!  Visions of weekend chocolate & ice cream dangled before me challenging me to work a little harder.  My badge of honor was a speckled sweaty t-shirt. I even had to use one of those sweat towels on my brow. (Wish I had my camera for proof.)  Wow.

I was not enthused when basement basketball was chosen for 30minutesontheboysturf time.  I contemplated proposing things like: 
*Hotel -- the boys could check me into a hotel room and I could pretend to stay as an overnight guest.
*Camping --the boys could set up the tent and we could all pretend we are looking at the stars.
*Doctor -- one doctor, one assistant, and one fainted patient (yours truly).

You get the drift. My wobbly workout legs were not desiring basketball or movement of any kind.

We did it. Over 30 minutes of basketball!

Day 3 -- No Sweat (and no rhyme --refer to day 1 and day 2)!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment