Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Whew.....

Today marks Day 22 of 30minutesontheboysturf and Day 1 of school at home!  I must report that it has been nothing short of successful mixed with just a few crazy moments.  We have ONE class left and we will be done for the day. 

I admit that I kind of strongly suggested that our 30minutesontheboysturf time be a special breakfast at the start of our day. The boys would not have come up with this plan on their own, but I knew they would love it. I also knew that today would be a busy day and we needed it to go smoothly.   Up to this point, the boys have dictated our turf time, but today was different. 

Yesterday I shared about our new found enjoyment in reading Little House in the Big Woods.   Our breakfast menu consisted of Cast Iron Skillet pancakes by candlelight.  Oldest and Middleson called me "Ma" and their daddy "Pa".  Babyboy was still in dreamland and feasted a bit later.  We imagined homemade maple syrup and freshly churned butter. Pa shared of his middle-of-the-night shooting wild animals and such.  

After a quick clean-up and school pictures, the lights (and internet) were turned on and the 2010-2011 school year began. 

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, this is such a great idea, and you are a neat Mother! ("Ma") =) How cute! I just reread the whole Little House series backwards, (don't know why, I just felt like reading them, and ended up reading them in that order) so now I am ready to start Little House in the Big Woods, so I will be reading it at the same time you and the boys are. But its probably my 20th time to read it! =) I haven't read the series for several years now, and missed the books, so I went back and reread it all. I love it! Your boys will really like Farmer Boy, I'm thinking, the next book in the series. Have you read that? It is so interesting, all about how they made their own candles, the cobbler made their shoes, they got their own ice out of the lake and packed it in their icehouse with sawdust to keep it frozen all summer. And it talks about Almanzo's love for horses and it describes in yummy detail all the delicious food his Mother would make. He called his mom and dad Mother and Father. Probably that had to do with his growing up in a different location than Laura, upstate New York. Anyway, enjoy reading these great books to your boys! My dad read them to Jennifer and I and Mama, and we've loved them ever since!

    ReplyDelete