Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Monday, August 9, 2010

Play Now, Work Later

Experiment Days 4, 5, and 6
While our weekends normally consist of some major projects (work, work, work) and some play, this weekend was different. With the realization that August has arrived and school is about to start, PLAYING was our first priority.

Ecclesiastes 3 reminds me that there is a time for everything!  For to-do-aholics like me, I need to make time and give myself permission to have fun and leave the work for another time.  There IS indeed "a time to laugh, a time to dance, a time to keep, and a time to love"!

Saying that, 30minutesontheboysturf time was a cinch.  We planned a day trip to Hocking Hills for a hike and picnic.  Exploring the trails, caves, and waterfalls was amazing!  Our hot afternoon concluded with drippy yummy ice cream cones for all!

On Sunday, I asked the boys want they wanted to do for our time together.  Oldest replied, "Well, I would like to spend my 30 minutes with daddy!"  Daddy, Oldest, and Middleson went to work/play fixing Middleson's bike and "window" shopping for a Red Ryder BB gun!  The weekend ended with a family 5K -- boys on bikes, Babyboy in the jog stroller, and mommy and daddy jogging to keep up.

Since we played all weekend, Monday held an extra share of to-dos.  I contemplated trying to complete all my tasks before 30minutesontheboysturf time, but decided to put my time with them above my desire to get my things done.  We thoroughly enjoyed a game of checkers followed by modeling animals from clay. 

One observation I have drawn from this experiment so far -- during NON-30minutesontheboysturf time, they boys are playing more contentedly on their own without "needing" me. Therefore, I can do the things I do need to do (laundry, cook, clean, pay bills,etc.) with less distractions. 

I have been very encouraged, inspired, and held accountable by many of you! I would love to know how you are doing on this journey and any observations (keeping with the "experiment" mode) you have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment