Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Maybe the Girly Grass is Greener

So I started day two of this experiment off with determination.  "This afternoon I WILL be spending time with you. Please be thinking of what  you want to do." I declared.  "Oh, you are going to spend time with us again?" Middleman questioned. Oh Please, is it that evident, even to them?  I DO spend every waking minute with them, but even THE BOYS know there is something special about the 30minutesontheboysturf time. 

I did begin to think that maybe, just maybe, the mothers with girls have an advantage with this experiment.  30minutesonthegirlsturf would be much easier to implement.  It would even come natural.  I imagined myself with a little blonde curlied haired girl with bows.  I am just sure I would DESIRE to play with her --  Dress-up.  Tea parties.  Playing house.  Baby dolls.  It would be like being on the same turf all the time instead of jumping to an unknown breed of grass and speaking a foreign language for 30 minutes. 

Wrongo!  I actually received e-mails from mothers of girls and they were setting the 30 minute timer too. Mom's are busy people with a never ending to-do list. While we all want the best for our children and do so much for our children and even with our children -- playing on their turf where they call the shots is entirely different to most of us. 

So today Oldest and Middleson came up with a gameplan.  Babyboy was forced to go along with it.  They wanted to read for 15 minutes (YES, I can handle an activity that isn't high speed) and play cars for the next 15 minutes.  The story about volcanoes was educational and interesting. At this point in our 30 minute experiment, I am almost positive Babyboy pointed at the computer screen, trying to lure me into checking my e-mail.  I didn't cave into the temptation.  Imagine my delight when Middleson introduced me to his Hot Wheel family -- Daddy car, Mommy car, and three little boy cars (sounds familiar, I know).  "I can do this!" I high-fived myself.  A talking family of cars was doable.  Apparantly the youngest one in the car family got his own garage since he had a hard time sleeping.  (Sounds like Babyboy and his very own crib and very own room.)  I looked a the clock and I had gone 4 minutes past the 30 minute mark. 

Day 2 is through.  (I better quit with this rhyming stuff before I get myself into a dilemma.)

P.S. - for the several mommies that have joined me in this experiment, let me know how are you are doing!

3 comments:

  1. You are once again showing what an awesome mom you are!! That is a fun experiment!!! I am so guilty of not just focusing on PLAYING. We are too busy DOING.

    Julia (6) loves to play dress up, make food like a restaurant and serve me, etc. But do you know what she asks to do each and every time I ask her what she wants to play with me? Blocks and Legos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!!! I'm so guilty of this too! I've never had an imagination like my kids do and playing in the pretend world with my girls is like torture to me. Your writing is inspiring me, though. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this with us Nicole! I have always loved your writing and you are inspiring me to do something new!

    It's so easy right now for me to take care of the needs of my younger two and let the older two fend for themselves, but I know they crave QT with us! A great reminder and challenge...THANKS!

    ReplyDelete