Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Little House in the Big Woods

Today is the first day of school for our neighborhood kids.  Believe it or not, today feels different!  There are no kids ringing the doorbell or running through the backyard.  The overcast sky adds to the feeling of the end of Summer vacation. 

After a fast-paced morning of appointments and errands, our 30minutesontheboysturf time was a welcomed break in our day.  Oldest and Middleson are enjoying Little House in the Big Woods .  Since I enjoyed the series growing up, I thought perhaps they were not adventurous enough for my boys and just now introduced the books to my kids.  Now, reading them from a boy's perspective, everything has changed.  Today we read the chapter titled, "Pa's Rifle."  I probably skipped over that one when I was younger since I didn't care to know about rifles.   This particular chapter captivated the complete attention of Oldest and Middleson.  What boy wouldn't want to know how to make home-made bullets or how to clean a rifle? 

I'm sure tomorrow someone will suggest bullet-making for our time together.  Unfortunately, I don't keep lead or a bullet mold on hand.  For today, we will enjoy our last few hours of Summer vacation! 

Nine days left.....

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I always kind of skipped over the part about rifles too, when I come to that.

    ReplyDelete