Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Mommyontheboysturf with her three sons

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tests

"Today you are going to have a Lego Test." Middleson informed me before I could even fully ask him what he wanted to do for 30minutesontheboysturf time.  Oldest went right along with the plan. Although neither boy would help me build the Lego Knight or Lego Tow Truck, it was an "open book" test and the manual directed me step by step.  Fastening the tow truck apparatus was quite challenging. It reminded me of trying to undo a knotted ball of kite string.   These particular Lego Sets were for ages 5 and up.  Maybe it was supposed to be 35 and up.  Middleson granted me a B+ on the Knight and a C+ on the Tow Truck.  Man, he's tough.  Of all my schooling thus far, Lego School sports the worst report card.

The role reversal was fun today. Since we homeschool, I am usually the one administering the tests and not the one taking them. Yet, I can see that my "tests" with this 30daysontheboysturf experiment are definitely coming.  Life will change completely on August 25 when we start school full time and finding 30 minutes is like searching for hidden treasure.  Other mom's that have joined me in this experiment are working, teaching, mothering MANY more children than I, etc.  They have already faced TESTS along the way. 

Beyond this little experiment, tests are a part of REAL life.  The tests we endure can be severe, heart wrenching, and ongoing.  In the Bible, the book of James (chapter 1) instructs us to be happy when we have tests. Tests teach us to persevere and not give up. 

Maybe investing true quality time in our childrens' lives will reap children who learn how to pass the tests that they too will face. 

Happy Testing!

No comments:

Post a Comment